• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Any retirees move overseas to reduce cost in retirement and do you regret it?

I am still a decade or two from retirement.  I am curious if anyone on here retired overseas and their opinions on it?  It seems most of the people on this forum are pretty comfortable in their retirement, where many of the expats I read about on other forums do so out of financial need.  I am curious how it is for those that move by choice.
I spend my winters in my condo in Thailand, and have many expat friends who live there permanently and never return to america for a variety of reasons. The good part, warm climate, cheaper cost of living then moving to Florida or Az, great food, exciting cultures to explore, great golf courses at affordable prices, easy to make friends if you live in an expat community. Bad side, cost of living is dependent on currency fluctuations, medical care and public safety are not up to American standards. If you don't have money to self insure or a health insurance thats good in your selected country, there is a chance you will receive 3rd world medicine and possibly die

There are also language and cultural barriers that you have to adjust to, air quality and food and water safety do not meet USA standards. Also many American expats cannot return to america for legal reasons,not just financial

I suggest you rent in your selected county, go in there with both eyes open. For me what works best is to spend my winters there. America is still the best democracy to live in, provided you have money
ProudFoot I do agree with several items in your narrative. I also do agree that U.S.A. has the best democracy but I would question the humidity of a climate something significant for older people. I live in the U.S.A. now but also spend much time in the mild 4 seasons in Greece and I can still prefer the conveniences, medical care and security the good old U.S. of A. provides. I grew up in the well known as the best climate and seas in the world but I would prefer to be in USA and travel there as tourist although I have dual citizenship which is legal....No negation to your preference but it is a little too humid for some people - though very nice and green...nice to visit....
ProudFoot I realize this a bit off topic on the original post but I'm curious about your condo experience in Thailand.  Both my wife and I love it there.  Which area are you in?  We have considered Phuket but also enjoyed Ko Samui and Hua Hin.   Do you rent the condo while you are out of the country and is that profitable/convenient?  I'm also curious about the healthcare comments as my one experience in a hospital was excellent (Bangkok).  Have you experienced substandard healthcare?  Thanks,
I thought about the ex-pat route but could not convince my better half (Panama or Costa Rica were my favorites). I have traveled to SE Asia several times with great pleasure but not stayed longer than 3 months at a time. I am very interested in the medical aspect since Medicare is not portable outside the US. Do you join the countries social program or must you pay cash because you cannot be a member? What about prescriptions?

I am hoping I can convince my better to spend part of our retirement abroad and medical is a major priority.
I own my oceanfront condo in pattaya, because Iam an avid golfer, but the beach is substandard. I do not rent it out, but others do, this is just a personal preference on my part.   In regards to health insurance. I self insure, but affordable health care plans are available.   In general health care costs are much lower than USA.  Quality of care is good, provide you go to a top hospital.  However, most expats who have money, when confronted with a life threatening illness, fly to their home Countries  hope this helps you
I thought about the ex-pat route but could not convince my better half (Panama or Costa Rica were my favorites). I have traveled to SE Asia several times with great pleasure but not stayed longer than 3 months at a time. I am very interested in the medical aspect since Medicare is not portable outside the US. Do you join the countries social program or must you pay cash because you cannot be a member? What about prescriptions?

I am hoping I can convince my better to spend part of our retirement abroad and medical is a major priority.
(11-28-2018, 12:32 AM)cm1988 Wrote: I thought about the ex-pat route but could not convince my better half (Panama or Costa Rica were my favorites). I have traveled to SE Asia several times with great pleasure but not stayed longer than 3 months at a time. I am very interested in the medical aspect since Medicare is not portable outside the US. Do you join the countries social program or must you pay cash because you cannot be a member? What about prescriptions?

I self insure, but there are medical plans available. Costs are much less than USA, if you go to the best , hence the most expensive hospitals you get pretty good care. If I had a life threatening illness, however, I would fly home, as do most expats with money
Thanks for the response. It is very helpful.

A friend in Belize is trying to convince me to relocate there, but I'm very hesitant when I found that emergency care for me is via a 7 hours away flight to Houston. The local medical care in country is very sparse until Belize City a 3-4 hour ride away. After that, I re-centered on the Canal Zone which has excellent medical care and the country still uses USD for currency.
As you enter retirement, access to quality healthcare has to be a top priority..  Many americans who retire to third world countries, think they can dial 911 and an ambulance will be at their house in 10 minutes, BIG mistake