• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Calling all 60+ year olds...what's your asset allocation?

We've have been 80/20 for years now waiting for Ben and Janet to figure out what's what.  I'm less than 3 and 1/2 years from mandatory retirement if it medically doesn't happen sooner.

I keep having this gnawing feeling I should be closer to 60/40...but....

Our current equities are 67% US Dividend growth Stocks,15% US Growth,15% International, 3% Emerging.   Most of those US Div Stocks did not cut their dividends during the 2007-9 crash.

Too risky?   We are 61.5 and 60 and I have to retire at 65...no if and or buts...(can't wait!)

Thanks!!
I qualify, being 70. Never have owned bonds or bond funds. Wish I had in 2000 & 2009. Always have stayed 100% invested in equities. Current portfolio has evolved into 18 ETF's, broad index and diversified sectors. and 9 stocks, most paying dividends. Have substantially cut back my trading this year. Intend to buy and hold. Done OK, have averaged 15% annual return for the past 5 years. In spite of being older, just can't force myself to jump into bonds. I know would lessen losses in the event of a market decline. But given the unwinding of Fed's $4.5 trillion and future Fed interest increase, rates are bound to go up in the future. People will be surprised to lose money in bonds. And I don't believe in market timing. So I intend to ride out the downs and ups in the market. Has worked pretty well so far.
We are both 65. My husband still works in a small business his owns. I've been retired for three years. Here is our mix, which I know isn't traditional for our age. Equities are very diverse and lately I've been moving more to international or global. We have 20% individual stocks, 80% funds.

Current

Domestic Stock
70%

Foreign Stock
20%

Bonds
5%

Short Term
5%

Unknown
0%

Other
0%
I am 62, retired since 55.

I have 44% equities (all US), 35% bonds (mostly 0-2 years to maturity) and 21% cash (mostly short term T-bills)
I'll be 60 this year and manage my IRA retirement investments pretty closely, so my allocation varies.  Note that I retired in 2014 and also am an active trader in a non-qualfied account to earn a extra income.

What I do track is annual return in my retirement account and am focused on a minimum of 12% per year, which has not been difficult in the recent years of the bull market.

My current focus is on a couple high dividend paying stocks (T & STX), which I bought at significant lows, with the rest in high performing and highly rated low cost mutual funds.  These funds can easily be found using Fidelity's mutual fund screener. 

If I look today at percentages, I am about 20% stocks, 75% funds and 5% in money market to keep some "dry powder" in case there is a chance to buy something at a great price.
Your ideal allocation may depend on your individual circumsatnces and how much risk you can tolerate.

My wife and I are 62-64 years old and retired for several years.  We invest essentially in ETFs/mutual funds only.

Our allocation is curreently about:
49% equities,
43% fixed income
8% cash

Of the equities:
43% large cap
16% small cap
12% equity REIT (excluded from the other equity categories above)
29% foreign (about 1/3 of which is emerging markets and 2/3 are developed markets)

Of the Fixed Income:
13% High Yield (although some of the "high yield" funds are actually mostly investment grade)
27% stable value (e.g., CD ladders)
26% investment grade taxable bond funds with limited/short duration
34% tax-exempt/muni funds with limited/short duration

Of the Cash:
35% in the bank to cover a couple of years of expenses
65% on the sidelines to be invested if the market goes down
Jlee - I agree with your statement, this is very individual and one should not base their allocation on what others do. 
I am 66 and have been "retired" for three years. Investing since 1976 but back then I was a clueless investor.
My approach is to stay fully invested with two-years of cash or cash-like investments to cover expenses. Some cash is waiting to be invested at an opportune moment. I'm not waiting for a market correction but for a good entry point on investments in my buy list.

I do not plan to sell any positions for any reason including a bear market sell-off. We can easily live off of the income from my dividend-growth stock portfolio. A large chunk of that income is from ROTH IRA accounts (mine and my wife's.)
I avoid investments that have silly payout ratios. Rarely do any of my positions cut their dividend. If they do my written plan says "sell."

Timing the market is not my game. I don't know too many investors with crystal balls and most studies I have seen show that those who try to get out of a bear market and then back into a bull market lose out. I've talked to many friends who have done just that. So sad.
Two things to consider: How tolerant to risk are you?  If you were 100% in stocks and 2008 happened again, how would you feel seeing your investments drop by more than 50%?  What did you do in 2008?  Did you pull out at the market low and get back in 4 years later when the market recovered.  If so, you should opt for a very conservative allocation with 40-50% in cash and bonds.

The second consideration is how much of your income from your assets you'll need in retirement.  If social security and pensions can provide everything you need, then you can go all in on the market, since you won't have to pull money out during market lows.
Personally, I need about 3% from my investments to augment my retirement income.  Therefore, I keep about 20% in cash/bond funds which will allow for 6-7 years of spending.  Should a market crash happen, I have 7 years for it to recover.  Pretty much every market downturn has recovered in less time than that.  The other 80% is divided roughly evenly between large cap, mid cap, small cap and international index funds or ETFs.
i'm 78 80% invested in stocks and mutual funds's
was 100% invested April 2017 
the reserve is usually kept at 5 years for 401 mrd or mdr
try not to believe talking heads and politicians
buy Select funds when low, hold contrafund, baron asset fund etc,  and trade stocks etc for very long term