• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Converting to Roth - ? method to pay additional taxes

I've done the research (thank you forum members), I've run the numbers, I've made my decision, and now I'm about to pull the trigger and create a 'backdoor' Roth which will be funded by my IRA distributions over the next four years.  (Times 2, as I'll be doing the same for my wife's 401k).  I estimate I'll owe an additional $30k in taxes for 2018.  I'll cover it from a taxable account.  Question:  What is the process to pay this additional amount?   I'm hoping it's as simple as just adding it to my 4Q 1040 Estimated payment.  (And next year I can spread it over all 4 estimated payments.   Are there any 'gotcha's' in my thinking?  Something else the IRS may require?   I'm a TurboTax user as my taxes are very straightforward.  I'd like avoid involving a CPA for this seemingly simple matter.  Thanks!
As a Turbo Tax user, Turbo Tax already calculated your safe harbor amount(s). So presuming you are sending in the quarterlies as calculated, the extra income you will declare for 2018 will not cause a penalty. The default Turbo Tax safe harbor amount calculation is not affected by your 2018 income. Now if you selected to use the alternative rule of withholding 90% of your estimate of your 2018 rule, and that cause you to withhold less, then you have search further.

Your action item is to have the cash available to send in with your income tax. Maybe stop dividend reinvesting if you need to have cash by April 15th etc. You can stash the cash in SPRXX or FZDXX. You could also consider a 90 day treasury of some sort, but buying the money market fund is simple.

This is a snip from a test Turbo Tax return I just made. This is from the "Prepare my 2018 Estimated Taxes Based on" worksheet. The blue X was already per-selected. So you should be good.

Forum Jump:

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)