• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Early Retirement Health Care

For those who retired early, what did you do for health insurance?
Obamacare aka ACA. I could have gone COBRA (at least for a while), but because I'm way younger than most of my former co-workers were, the cost of COBRA was 2x Obamacare at the time for almost exactly the same plan. Back then I had a PPO plan, but there aren't any PPOs in my area as of a couple of years ago. So I have a very bare bones catastrophic plan that I basically plan to only ever make a claim against in an emergency. Other commercial plans are more expensive and more cumbersome to sign up for, but they might make sense depending on your situation. Take care of yourself.
(12-21-2018, 02:25 PM)profnot Wrote: Obamacare aka ACA. I could have gone COBRA (at least for a while), but because I'm way younger than most of my former co-workers were, the cost of COBRA was 2x Obamacare at the time for almost exactly the same plan. Back then I had a PPO plan, but there aren't any PPOs in my area as of a couple of years ago. So I have a very bare bones catastrophic plan that I basically plan to only ever make a claim against in an emergency. Other commercial plans are more expensive and more cumbersome to sign up for, but they might make sense depending on your situation. Take care of yourself.

How can you have a bare bones plan? I thought that Obamacare mandated we all have a plan that is pretty comprehensive.