• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Plans for a Bear Market?

I am 58 and have enough money to spend 150,000 per year until I am 100-----however I probably won't live that long. In any event, I keep 2/3 of my money in cash, and invest in the market with the balance. I typically make about 6 percent on my investments----but it really doesn't matter as I don't plan to run out of cash. I watch the market several times a day, so it is not going to wipe out my 1/3 investment, even though I may lose some. Normally I would have my major investments in real estate, but at my age and financial condition, I prefer to take the easy way and just spend my own money.
My dad is 90 also and you're very close in positioning.
He doesn't swing for any fences for a couple decades.
Mentally intact but physically becoming frailer.
Best to you and yours, enjoy your time.
I’ve been building my retirement bunker for the last year or so. 40/45/15 asset allocation right now, but I will re-balance as required. Bonds are generally short and higher quality in a ladder with some floating rate and high yield funds thrown in. My fixed income and cash represent 15x desired income in retirement. My assets overall represent 32x retirement spending needs. Bring it on.
I think about it all the time. And I gird myself against emotions to mash the sell button on anything I own. My strategy is, in the end, to produce a stream of dividend income about $60,000. per year and I'm getting damn close now. Those are being paid by 13 companies that I've built positions in. Believe all to be companies with staying power through bull or bear markets. I care less about stock prices than pure dollars in dividends. These are about 1/3 of what I expect to have in total income in retirement which is still 5ish years away. One very important leg of a stool, and thanks to good luck and fortunate circumstance, I will have 4 legs. SS is one of them and I have rent income from commercial property that makes another. I'm thankful every day for the life I have. Some of it I built, and some of it because I was lucky in parents. I thank God I live in America, and in Texas.
@solon
It wasn't until about 2 years ago, 12 years into retirement, that I paid attention to the fact that paid-out dividends and capital gains were providing about 80 percent of the amount we were withdrawing from the IRA. I've re-invested same for years, but didn't have a coordinated strategy. Doing simple math, it turns out our net withdrawals amount to not much more than 1.5% of principal.

Of course RMDs will change the equation, but I think DRIP plans make a heck of a lot of sense and can significantly extend one's investment horizon. The caveat, of course, is to hold great companies with a record of increasing dividends over a long period of time.