• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Please help me with picking stocks to balance my portfolio

Below are my current positions.
AAPL - strike 190 covered call (10%)
MSFT - strike 70 covered call(4%), may roll to strike 80 in sept when 2021 options become available.
GOOG - short strike 800 puts. (3%)
Macys - strike 20 covered call (5%)
WMT - strike 90 covered call. 2% of my portfolio.
IBM - strike 130 covered call(4%), Jan 2019. No plans to continue this position after Jan 2019.

SPY with strike 270 covered call(4%).

Can you please suggest non technology stocks I can invest in, preferably by selling puts.

some that come to my mind are:
SBUX
Nike
HomeDepot
Fedex

I dont like telecom like ATT and VZ since they are loaded with debt(over leveraged) but maybe I should look at low debt utility companies like southern company/Entergy?
My best returns over the past 5 years have been in midsize growth companies.

And I'm still over-weighted with large cap stocks.

Looking for any of these types is my goal.
My best returns over the past 5 years have been in midsize growth companies.
And I'm still overweighted with large cap stocks.
Looking for any of these types is my goal.
At this point I will suggest T for your holdings. It is at its lowest and it will go up next year. Dividend is good also.

Many people avoid it but it will be good. I have it! I know you mentioned non technology but I want to let you know my sincere feeling.....
I think I will just buy 10 year bond of T, its yielding around 5%.
I am thinking an oil such as MCO. Buy as a stock. No option.

So looking at one of your positions, M for example, you bought M shares and then sold a 20 call against it?  Or did you hold M for a while and sell the option to liquidate M?
(12-11-2018, 09:09 AM)arebelspy Wrote: I am thinking an oil such as MCO. Buy as a stock. No option.

So looking at one of your positions, M for example, you bought M shares and then sold a 20 call against it?  Or did you hold M for a while and sell the option to liquidate M?

I have been in M for a while. When they tanked below 20 I bought the covered calls I had initially sold and then when it rebounded higher than 25, I sold the strike 20 call. I am only collecting the 8% yield since about a year and whenever it gets called I will get out of this. This stock can go to 50 due to short squeeze or fall to 20 again - if things go wrong with execution and revenue keeps falling. At 20 its a good buy due to real estate holdings.
Since you're betting against Microsoft, I doubt we'll find much common ground on any suggestions I can offer. I just bought more MSFT long on Friday. I think their future is very bright indeed and they will weather any economic storms quite well, additionally AMZN, V, MA, as well.  I expect both developed and emerging markets, materials, energy to do poorly in upcoming months and I've reduced my small caps holdings. That's my two cents.