• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What moves have you made to minimize taxes in your various investment accounts?

Wondering what people have done.
1) I opened up a Fidelity Charitable Giving Fund, and donated highly appreciated mutual fund shares that also had a high expense ratio (GABAX), as I was also looking to reduce my investment in this high expense ratio fund.
2)  I switched my cost-basis tracking in mutual funds from "average cost per share" to  "actual cost-basis", so i can sell or donate more specific lots
3)  I'm thinking of selling mutual fund shares (GABAX again) that currently are at a loss and pair it with shares at a gain, so I can reduce my overall position in this high expense ratio position.  I would then invest in an index fund that tracks the larger market (S&P 500 or extended market) with a much lower expense ratio.
4) i have also maxed out my 401K to the federal limit ($54K) plus the $6K catch-up provision
5) also contribute to an HSA

Just wondering what other people have done.  I would value your ideas or comments
About all I have done is buy CA tax-exempt muni bonds, and balance the sale of winners and losers when I have needed cash. The combination of these things made it essentially tax-neutral when I needed to raise $150K for a real estate deal in 2016. But, this is basically a 'one-trick pony.'  Not something that continues year-to-year.
Whenever any of my long-term holdings decline in price and comes below my cost-basis, I harvest tax-loss. I either buy more shares and hold them for 30-days before selling the pricier lots, or replace with a similar (but not identical) holding to switch back after the wash-sale period. I pay attention to the dividend-qualification rule too.

I contribute max to 401K. I also take advantage of HSA, but contrary to the recommended practice, I make all eligible expenses from the HSA instead of using after-tax money.

Outside of this, not much tax-savvy moves.
wondering why you pay your medical expenses out of the HSA vs. using after tax money and letting your HSA grow? What is your rationale?

FYI - first year, I did the same thing b/c it seemed like too much paperwork for $6K, but eventually I followed conventional wisdom, and now look at the HSA as another tax-advantaged savings vehicle.
no particular reason other than laziness , and also the fact that the amounts involved are too small (the HSA balance vs my other investments, the annual medical expense, etc.) to bother. I think the triple-tax advantage is really helpful for people with a long time-horizon, especially if the tax-rate is low. In my case, my tax rate is high and hence I tend to make use of any eligible tax-free fund instead of the after-tax $. Also, I don't like the prospect of having to pay penalty in case I have to make non-medical withdrawals before 65 (the 10% penalty for IRA/401K withdrawal before 59-1/2 is enough of a heartburn already). Both me and my spouse have employer contribution (we work at different companies) and there are some complexities about the total combined contribution (and penalty if either of us mistakenly exceed the annual limit), So it's too much of a headache to maximize the triple-tax advantage effect for a relatively small amount.