• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can I elicit help to determine a reasonable rate of return on a lease?

Hi everyone,

First off, thanks for taking a glance at my post. I hope my question will stimulate discussion and help guide me towards an informed decision. I have secured a 5 year lease on a location that is suitable for a restaurant. I purchased the restaurant that was there for $80,000 and the monthly rent is $2,500/month for the first 3 years and increases to $2750/month the last 2 years. It is very competitive compared to what rents are in the area. 

Another party is interested in the location and I've been asked to come up with an offer that's workable for all concerned. I would like to have a minority interest in the business as it's a successful business model and I want to remain active within the business. So I've come up with the following:

- Initial good faith payment of $2,500USD
- monthly payments of $1,100USD until the end of the rental agreement
- 4% of monthly net profit for the first 4 years
- 5% of monthly net the final year
- $10,000USD final payment

I will estimate restaurant's monthly net profit at $5,000USD not factoring inflation. Here are my projections:

$1,100 x 59 months  = $64,900USD
$2,500USD good faith payment + $10,000USD final payment = $12,500USD
$200USD x 48 months = $9,600USD
$250USD x 12 months = $3,000USD

Total = $90,000USD

I will be paying a total of $90,000 in rent the first 3 years and another $66,000 the last 2 years. I know you're saying, why would I accept some $60,000 less than what I've put up so far? Simply put, chalk it unto my overpaying for the restaurant purchased. I could sell the restaurant for about $35,000 and take my loss or hold on, keep doing what I enjoy doing and participate actively and recoup a bit more of my investment.  

I know there are other ways to look at this, which is why I've posted here. Any contributions would be appreciated.
I was thinking about computing the IRR of each of the options, and also find out how the lower/upper IRR bounds of the proposed option look like. Unfortunately I didn't get a clear picture of the scenarios, especially who is paying whom and who owns what in each options and who owns what. Perhaps this is because I'm unfamiliar with the business of leasing a place and having an operation there. Would you mind articulating the 2 options more clearly, including the ownership/lease of the restaurant and the location?
@tophdna

Thanks much for your questions. The location in question currently is a restaurant but closed at the moment. I am the owner of the restaurant and I have a 5 year lease on the location. The rent is very competitive for the area - tourist area of Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. The rent is $2,500/monthly for the first 3 years and increases by 10% to $2,750/month the last 2 years.

I am weighing a number of options. The easiest one is to sell the restaurant. I could reasonably expect about $35,000, perhaps more. The second is to open the restaurant again and operate with the staff I currently have. They’ve been very supportive.

I am most interested, however, in a partnership. I did have one but for reasons I won’t bore you with, was caught flat footed hence my current situation. One aspect of being in a partnership (structured through an LLC, for example) is the residence benefits it would confer. My current residence permit will expire the middle of next year (from my previous employer I retired from a few months ago) and makes things like repatriation of monies easier, as well.

My original post did not include who would be responsible for the rent. Who should be responsible? If I am and assuming the projections I mentioned as accurate, then I’m saddle with a loss of about $60,000 at the end of the lease which is about the same loss I would take if I sold outright. What would be considered reasonable if I wanted the partnership to share the rental? Am I looking at this the right way?
have visited your city several times as I am a part time resident of Thailand..I have found with my biz friends it is much more difficult to make money in southeast asia than in one's home country.. Ask yourself are you doing this to get rich or just so you can live in your adopted country, if your doing just so you can live in Vietnam, I would chose another course of action.