• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

FaceBook FB, Buy Sell or Hold?

Facebook stock has been plummeting ever since it said it expects revenue slowdown to continue, FB stock plunged as much as 23% in the extended session the Wednesday after the social-media giant missed analyst expectations for the top line and user growth -- which was flat in the U.S. and Canada compared with the first quarter -- but beat on the bottom line.

In the company's earnings call with investors, Chief Financial Officer David Wehner disclosed that the social-media giant expects the revenue slowdown to continue. "Our total revenue growth rates will continue to decelerate in the second half of 2018, and we expect our revenue growth rates to decline by high single-digit percentages from prior quarters sequentially in both Q3 and Q4," he said on the conference call. Wehner also said Facebook still expects expenses to grow 50% to 60% from last year.

The Menlo Park, Calif.-based company reported $5.12 billion in net income for the quarter, which amounts to $1.74 a share, widening from $3.89 billion or $1.32 a share in the year-ago period. The bottom-line beat was above analysts' average estimate of $1.71 a share.
If we are talking long term, demographics are against them. The newer generations do not seem to use it at all, they prefer Instagram, SnapChat, etc.
Wow, ouch. That hurts to hear a description of newer generations who are too cool for Facebook, when many of my generation aren't even quite ready for Facebook.
I hadn't been following FB's price too closely since I'm not holding any. I was frankly surprised that it took this long for a big (at least after hours) drop; by all rights their stock price should have been level YTD due to all of the negative news that's been piling up, so I see this drop as literally a correction in their stock, undoing a rise that wasn't warranted. Personally I would say "sell" on FB, even down 20%.

I think much of the rest of the tech stocks market is healthy, so if there is a spillover of negative sentiments, I think it would be a great time to buy more MSFT, ADBE, FTEC, QQQ.  I suspect any of these should grow more in the coming months than keeping one's money in FB.
Given the future revenue growth rate decreases and increasing expenses - for that alone FB is no longer in the hi growth arena - also concerns about security issues and gov't concerns - I would not be an owner - I suspect investor sentiment to remain negative and that's not good.
I'm going to wait for it to drop another 20% before consider buying it