• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What is your favorite short-term investment (5 years...be specific)?

I have cash now, but need the money 5 years from now. Where do you suggest investing? I need some ideas.
My church denomination has a program with 5 year cd's. Currently it pays about 4%. The cd's become loans to churches across the country for their buildings, etc. It comes with a risk, but I have never heard of a default. You might check with your favorite denomination to see if they have something similar.
This comes with many many  years of experience. I caution anyone very seriously with churches investing your money. I have tried to collect unclaimed funds for churches, It has been my experience they are not well managed.  I am a Licensed  Detective. My fee is 10% after they get their money. A no brainer

They won't  even take residual money left in a  will, say  $50,000.00 or   whatever  the amount with my attorney involved. They have to go through 10 meetings to decide.

I  refuse to even call them anymore !

I don't deal with churches anymore or the archdiocese. These people still have outstanding lawsuits for child abuse. Not safe and likely uninsured.

Second, they don't understand business and really the only churches that make money, is the ones that have a day  school alongside it.

Otherwise they are broke.

NO NO NO  Invest at your own peril

Just my opinion, 22 years of experience with this. Too Dangerous !!
Go to church to sooth your soul. But in business and investment matters, if the other party brings up religion, put one hand on your wallet and keep it there because very soon, all of your money will be in his wallet.
I would be torn between CDs and TIPs. Am going to have a tidy sum for six months - looking for best rate for CD.
Historically, a basket of growth ETFs/MFs has been a very safe investment given a five-year hold. There has apparently never been a four-year period where a starting investment in stocks has lost ground.
totoroYou can easily check whether a growth stock fund has lost ground over a 4 or 5 year period using using a total return chart like the free "PerfChart" chart viewer at www.stockcharts.com.  This chart  shows the total return (including dividends, excluding inflation) of the Fidelity Growth Company Fund (FDGRX) was down by 72% from its March 2000 highs in October 2002, and had recovered to being down only 55% four years later (in March 2004).  A large cap growth ETF like IWF has a shorter history, but IWF was down by over 30% (worse than FDGRX) in the four years leading up to its March 2009 lows.

Jeromedawgdepending on what type of risks you're willing to bear, if you need all your principal back in five years and are just looking to earn a little interest, I'd stick with CDs or high quality bonds maturing when you need them (no need for a ladder if you need all the money in five years).

If you have more than you will need in five years are are looking for high expected returns on the surplus, then investing the surplus in stocks is likely (but not certain) to make money over a five year period.  Especially if you invest in an asset class with good relative value and positive momentum, like emerging market stocks seem to have at this point.

Hope this kindles some ideas!
'Past performance is no guarantee..etc' Answering your original question; I like AT& T (T), which I acquired as part of a cash and stock deal absorbing DirecTv in early 2016. Cost basis is based on early '90's DTV, so the 450% appreciation isn't something to be factored, but T has appreciated well since May 2016 and is a good dividend payer, which I re-invest.

Also Becton Dickson (BDX), owned for about 5 years, up 150%. Nothing sexy here, but solid over time.
A five-year holding period is a sufficiently long period to invest in equities. Specifically, I would suggest a passively-managed, ultra-low cost index fund which tracks the S&P500. Vanguard, Fidelity & Schwab all offer these very competitive investments.

Good luck & great profits!
If you really "need" the money you'll have to sick with CD's, or Short Term Gov. Bonds. Consider a ladder approach to tweak your chances for improving interest rates.