• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mortgage Qualification While Retired

Can anyone recommend a source of an approximate $750K "Asset Based Depletion Mortgage"?

We are finding it hard to qualify for a mortgage because at age 66 we are retired with no regular paycheck.
We have tried to work online with Quicken Mortgage but were assigned to someone that seems pretty unfamiliar with anything but a typical paycheck borrower.

For example, we have chosen not to start receiving social security income yet, though we could receive $4500/mo if we started today. But apparently Quicken wont count it because it does not show on past income tax filings. We do have over $3 million in retirement savings, but since we have chosen not to withdraw up to now, they do not count as income.
I went to my local credit union, showed my last 2 years income tax returns, most income from 1099s, and voila I got approved for a mortgages.  I previously applied online and got nowhere with a nationally know mortgage company because I don't draw A Paycheck.  Just my 2 cents worth
I have absolutely no experience with asset depletion mortgages, but being of an inquiring nature (as well as a retired lawyer and former banker) I Googled “asset depletion mortgage lenders” and there seem to be quite a few out there (also, some articles that just explain what the mortgages are). For example, Northstar Funding does these kinds of mortgages (according to its website) in 14 states and in D.C. They also explain a number of their criteria, such as a maximum loan-to-value ratio of 75%, etc.

One of the articles I read mentioned that at some of the larger national banks, if you have enough assets to be a client of their “Private Client” (or similarly-named) department, whether or not you have assets at such a bank, they may be able to provide you this sort of loan.

So, in addition to doing the search that I did, if you live near a branch of one of the major national banks, you may be able to inquire there.
I got pre-qualified for a mortgage down in Florida when I was thinking about buying a house instead of my condo. I just went to a regular mortgage company. Pulled up my brokerage account and My IRA and ROTH on my laptop, savings account and printed them out. Only had $1500/mo "Income" from s.s. and had no problems getting a maximum amount approval letter of recommendation. Ended up just keeping my condo.